Profit increased 12.5 percent to $9.6 million.
Day: January 25, 2013
IDG did not provide a reason for withdrawing its December offer.
United has added three key executives to direct its marketing and online initiatives.
One theme that has rung true from many of our outside contributors to MDM is the importance of getting out of your comfort zone and thinking differently about how to improve profitability.
We recently started running a blog on mdm.com from Stuart Mechlin, a member of MDM’s Editorial Advisory Board and formerly the senior vice president for Affiliated Distributors’ Industrial Supply Division. He posits that...
This article is part of the MDM series: The Shifting Competitive Landscape.
E-commerce in distribution is no longer just “nice to have”: It’s “need to have.” And the proliferation of e-commerce as an essential part of doing business – from the simplest forms to complex systems – has changed how some distributors view the market. This article examines the impact of e-commerce on the wholesale distribution channel.
There’s general consensus in the business-to-business space that e-commerce is now a “need-to-have” platform as opposed to just “nice-to-have.” Acceptance and adoption of e-commerce in distribution has grown over the past three years, but today’s e-commerce – and the role e-commerce plays in distribution – is different.
Today’s e-commerce platform goes beyond placing orders online,
Sales and inventories data for wholesaler-distributors in November 2012.
The second annual MDM Distribution E-Commerce Survey conducted with Real Results Marketing revealed several key trends:
- E-commerce revenue as a percent of overall revenue is rising relative to last year’s survey.
- The primary objectives among distributors for e-commerce are acquiring new customers, growing wallet share with existing customers and improving website usability.
- Respondents express mixed satisfaction with much of the functionality on their own e-commerce websites.
- Nearly 30 percent of companies that responded have a mobile device-optimized e-commerce solution. An additional 20 percent are implementing such a solution in the next 12 months.
- Grainger is still overwhelmingly considered to have the best website by its competitors.
E-commerce revenue as a portion of total revenue has grown significantly in the past year through the growth of existing e-commerce sites, as well as …