M&A returned to a healthy volume in May, with some of MDM’s Top Distributors announcing acquisitions during the month.
Builders FirstSource, Watsco and DXP Enterprises each made acquisitions, while some distributors — including US LBM Holdings and SiteOne Landscape Supply — acquired multiple companies.
There were many more notable transactions, of course, and in case you missed anything, here are all the M&A announcements — primarily involving distributors but also manufacturers that sell through the channel — MDM covered during the previous month (click the hyperlinked headline for more details):
- Carlisle Sells Brakes Unit to CentroMotion — Carlisle sheds its Brakes & Friction segment for about $375 million as part of an effort to simplify its portfolio.
- US LBM Holdings Buys American Construction Source — Specialty building materials distributor US LBM Holdings expands its presence into Colorado and Washington with the deal.
- United Rentals Completes Deal to Buy General Finance — In addition to more mobile storage space and modular office solutions, United Rentals gains General Finance’s 900 employees.
- Builders FirstSource to Buy Cornerstone Building Alliance for $400 million — Cornerstone Alliance is the largest independently operated supplier of building materials in Arizona.
- Crane Co. Strikes a Deal to Sell-Off Engineered Segment for $360 Million — Crane Co. also renamed its Fluid Handling division to ‘Processed Flow Technologies.’
- Heritage Enters Utah Market with Acquisition of Beehive Brick & Stone — Brad Fairbanks and Tyler Rast will continue to lead the company under the Beehive banner.
- Bunzl Acquires New Zealand Health Care Distributor — The international distribution and services group said it has added Obex Medical Holdings to its portfolio.
- Acuity Brands Snaps Up AI Accelerator Rockpile Ventures — Acuity Brands also announced on Tuesday that Peter Han, the co-founder of Rockpile Ventures, is now president of Acuity’s newly named Intelligent Spaces Group (ISG).
- PPG Acquires Global Coatings Manufacturer — Pittsburgh-based PPG has completed the acquisition of Wörwag, which employs 1,100 people worldwide.
- Atlas Copco Acquires U.S. Compressor Distributor — Atlas Copco’s newest asset, MidState Air Compressor, has 15 employees and covers markets in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
- Watsco Acquires Louisiana HVACR Distributor — Miami-based Watsco has added Acme Refrigeration, whose 2020 revenues were $60 million, to its portfolio.
- SiteOne Landscape Notches Third Acquisition of May — SiteOne Landscape Supply, the Georgia-based distributor of landscape supplies, has added California-based distributor Rock & Black Hardscape Supply to its portfolio.
- SRS Acquires Arrowhead Building Supply — Addition of Missouri-based distributor will give SRS better coverage throughout Missouri and Arkansas.
- Builders FirstSource Acquires Detroit-Area Distributor — Addition of John’s Lumber will benefit Builders FirstSource’s operations through the state of Michigan.
- PrimeSource to Acquire Nationwide Industries — Deal will expand PrimeSource’s portfolio of specialty residential building products.
- DXP Enterprises Acquires Florida Distributor — The addition of Carter & Verplanck will help DXP create a platform to scale its national water and wastewater efforts.
- SiteOne Landscape Supply Acquires Florida Irrigation Distributor — SiteOne announced its second acquisition of the month and fourth of 2021 by adding Melrose Irrigation Supply and Sales to its portfolio.
- US LBM Acquires Higginbotham Brothers — Specialty building materials distributor US LBM Holdings expands presence in Texas and Oklahoma.
- SiteOne Landscape Supply Acquires Minnesota Distributor — Landscape distributor adds Twin Cities company Timberwall Landscape & Masonry Products to its portfolio.
Did we miss anything? Please send M&A announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also welcome suggestions for “Behind the Deal,” our occasional series that takes a deep dive into market-shifting moves in wholesale distribution.