I had the pleasure of hearing popular Little Red Book of Selling author Jeffrey Gitomer speak this morning at the Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Distributors International conference here in Houston this week.
Deliver Distribution News to Your Inbox
Sign up below to receive MDM Update, your free weekly distribution news update by email.
Here are a few nuggets from his talk:
- In reference to the title of this blog, Gitomer says giving business cards to your drivers is not only a cost-effective way to instill pride and show they are valued employees. It also provides a way to encourage them to talk with the customers they frequently come into contact with – a way to brand your company. Continually look for memorable ways to brand yourself and provide conversation starters.
- Gitomer's theme during his talk was customer loyalty. He says loyalty is more important than satisfaction. Will your customers do business with you again, and will they refer you? What are you doing to build loyalty after the sale? Examples he gave – weekly sales messages via email that will help their businesses.
- Use video testimonials on your website from customers who continue to do business with you. Let referrals do the selling for you.
- On social media: "This is not for little kids. This is for business." Get online and learn these four tools: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube. And then participate in all four on a consistent basis. He says distributors should not worry about making money off these tools; "just do something customers find valuable," such as providing helpful tips and advice on how they can improve their business.
- He says: "I don't want you to hate your competition. I want your competition to hate you." If they do, then you have the edge in the market.