Electrical and industrial distributor Turtle & Hughes published its second annual Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report on Oct. 19. In preparation for Turtle’s 100th anniversary in 2023, the report reflects on ESG innovations that have made Turtle an industry leader and will continue to drive positive change over the next century, according to a news release. Turtle & Hughes ranked as the No. 16 Electrical, Data & Security Distributor in MDM’s 2022 Top Distributors list.
“ESG and sustainability have long been at the core of the Turtle business. It is a purpose-driven strategy delivered by our talented and innovative staff,” Turtle & Hughes CEO Kathleen Shanahan said. “This year’s report provides a high level of transparency into our sustainable offerings and internal operations, and how we achieve positive outcomes for our customers, teams and communities.”
The report features examples of how Turtle puts its ESG strategy into action for customers, team members and its communities:
- Customers: 100% of specialty business is tied to projects with sustainability components primarily aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions or supporting the use of clean energy. Additionally, a wide array of its infrastructure projects at major airports, waterways, ports and train stations, and lighting upgrades, save customers energy and money.
- Team Members: Turtle saw increases in diverse hiring and promotions in the first nine months of 2022: 72% of positions filled were with diversity candidates; 65% of all promotions were diverse employees. Today, close to 50% of all managers are diverse and 32% of managers are women.
- Communities: Turtle is on track to exceed 2021 donations supporting corporate causes — Gary Sinise Foundation, Make-a-Wish International and Sea Turtle Conservancy, as well as disaster relief to Ukraine, American Red Cross and Feeding America, among others.
The 2022 ESG Report also establishes baseline metrics and KPIs across businesses to base future goals that include these targets, including:
- Expand diversity supply chain in 2023 by 20% from a base line of 49 diverse suppliers.
- Grow electric van (EV) fleet by eight vehicles in the next five years, a 400% increase.
- In 2023 as part of its Centennial Celebration, it will grant 100 wishes for Make-A-Wish International.