The 2020 Mid-Year Economic Update_long

European Industrial Producer Prices Down 0.3% in September

Prices also decreased in the EU28 by 0.3 percent.

Compared with August, European industrial producer prices in September fell by 0.3 percent in both the euro area (EA19) and the EU28, according to estimates from Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union. Compared with September 2014, industrial producer prices decreased by 3.1 percent in the euro area and by 3.8 percent in the EU28.

The 0.3 percent decrease in industrial producer prices in total industry in the euro area in September 2015, compared with August 2015, is due to price falls of 0.8 percent in the energy sector, of 0.5 percent for intermediate goods and of 0.1 percent for durable consumer goods, while prices remained stable for capital goods and increased by 0.1 percent for non-durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.2 percent.

In the EU28, the 0.3 percent decrease is due to price falls of 0.7 percent in the energy sector, of 0.5 percent for intermediate goods and of 0.1 percent for durable consumer goods, while prices remained stable for non-durable consumer goods and increased by 0.1 percent for capital goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.2 percent.

Industrial producer prices fell in all Member States except Belgium and Malta (both +0.5 percent) and France (+0.1 percent). The largest decreases were observed in Ireland (-2.0 percent), Slovakia (-1.3 percent), Lithuania (-1.1 percent), Portugal (-1 percent), Estonia and Spain (both -0.9 percent).

In a year-over-year comparison, the 3.1 percent decrease in industrial producer prices in total industry in the euro area in September 2015, compared with September 2014, is due to price falls of 9.8 percent in the energy sector, of 1.5 percent for intermediate goods and of 0.5 percent for non-durable consumer goods, while prices rose by 0.6 percent for capital goods and by 0.8 percent for durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.6 percent.

In the EU28, the 3.8 percent price decrease is due to falls of 13.4 percent in the energy sector, of 1.5 percent for intermediate goods and of 0.6 percent for non-durable consumer goods, while prices rose by 0.7 percent for capital goods and by 0.9 percent for durable consumer goods. Prices in total industry excluding energy fell by 0.6 percent.

Industrial producer prices fell in all Member States, with the largest decreases observed in Lithuania (-10.5 percent), Greece (-8.8 percent), the United Kingdom (-8.4 percent), the Netherlands (-8.0 percent), Denmark (-7.6 percent) and Cyprus (-6.2 percent).

Download the PDF below for more detail.

Click Here


About the Author
Leave a Reply

Leave a Comment

Sign Up for the MDM Update Newsletter

The MDM update newsletter is your best source for news and trends in the wholesale distribution industry.

By subscribing, you are agreeing to MDM’s Privacy Policy.

Subscribe to continue reading

MDM Premium Subscribers get:

  • Unlimited access to MDM.com
  • 1 year digital subscription, with new issues twice a month
  • Trends analysis, market data and quarterly economic updates
  • Deals on select store products and events

2

articles left

Want more Premium content from MDM?

Subscribe today and get:

  • New issues twice each month
  • Unlimited access to mdm.com, including 10+ years of archived data
  • Current trends analysis, market data and economic updates
  • Discounts on select store products and events

1

article
left

You have one free article remaining

Subscribe to MDM Premium to get unlimited access. Your subscription includes:

  • Two new issues a month
  • Access to 10+ years of archived data on mdm.com
  • Quarterly economic updates, trends analysis and market data
  • Store and event discounts

To continue reading, you must be an MDM Premium subscriber.

Join other distribution executives who use MDM Premium to optimize their business. Our insights and analysis help you enter the right new markets, turbocharge your sales and marketing efforts, identify business partners that help you scale, and stay ahead of your competitors.