The ideas in this article posted on Outsourced Logistics may help you improve the efficiency of your fleet. The article was provided by Ryder System Inc., so does include some advertising. Still, with rising fuel prices challenging bottom lines, all advice helps.
Some of the tips in the article:
- Train drivers to watch their speed, one of the largest single factors affecting fuel economy. Reducing speed to 55 mph from 65 can improve mpg by as much as 22%.
- Improve tire maintenance.
- Improve your preventive maintenance program overall.
- Leverage technology to improve inventory visibility and reduce unnecessary trips.
- Optimize your distribution networks. (Related articles from MDM: Making Room for Growth: WinWholesale’s Experience Updating Its Distribution NetworkHome Depot’s New DC Strategy)
- Implement strategic route planning. (Related article from MDM: Technology Case Study -Routing Costs)
<What are you doing to mitigate rising fuel costs in your company? Comment below. You may need to sign in first.