As the number of B2B buyers who start their research, product selection and buying online has skyrocketed, so too have the opportunities available to wholesale distributors who put time, effort and money into their online presence. The global B2B e-commerce market was valued at $12.2 trillion in 2019 — just over six times that of the B2C market, Statista reports.
These numbers can’t be ignored. Even if your company is in catchup mode on this front, here are five New Year’s resolutions you can add to your list today:
- Commit to it. If you haven’t already done so, put someone (or better yet, a team) in charge of your company’s e-commerce operations. In other words, don’t let it be an offshoot of your existing marketing and advertising efforts. The more closely this team is aligned with your inside and outside sales force, the better. Finally, as part of this commitment, you’ll want to knit e-commerce into the fabric of your company, versus just looking at it as an additional sales channel.
- Supercharge your online content. If your site lists the bare minimum line cards, product information and pricing, it’s time to put some more into it. Start by enhancing your product information. “Providing clear, detailed product and service descriptions on your site help facilitate a buyer’s decision-making process,” Digital Commerce 360 suggests, noting that buyers rank product information and demos as the most important types of web content to see on a business’ site.
- Comb through your website to see where you can offer more insight. If, for example, you sell cloud-based phone systems, don’t just explain how your service works — share information about the integration process and the benefits of going wireless. “You can also include datasheets, catalog descriptions and videos that demonstrate how to use a product or adopt a system,” Digital Commerce 360 advises.
- Enhance your site’s features. Unless they are making a beeline to a single product page to place an order, your B2B buyers expect to see fresh content, offers, blogs and other information when they visit your site. Don’t be afraid to add new features. Curbell Plastics helps buyers narrow their choices by showing the shape of the product they are looking for, PracticalEcommerce reports, while Warehouse-Lighting.com’s top navigation clearly describes the company’s products (industrial and commercial lighting at wholesale prices) and provides quick access to the phone number and live chat.
- Keep the wheels in motion. As the new generation comes to managerial and purchasing power age, their preferred method of purchasing (e–commerce) will surpass older processes,” Big Commerce points out. For example, B2B customers want to see their B2C conveniences transfer over, with 72% of B2B customers loving self-service access to accounts and orders and 64% of them asking for scheduled deliveries. Use these and other perks to keep your e-commerce approach on target and profitable in 2020, and beyond.