Latest In Fastenal and Vending
This article is a part of MDM's 2014 Distribution Trends Report. The article analyzes the trends in vending, including more thorough evaluation of vending programs and implementation of new technologies.
The annual report was researched and written by MDM editors based on interviews with dozens of wholesaler-distributors, as well as industry experts and manufacturers. MDM also conducted a survey of its readers to uncover the trends outlined in this report.
The full report is available to download in PDF format to MDM Premium subscribers. Subscribe below for full access. Or log-in if you are already a subscriber.
Trends outlined in the 2014 report include:
- Leaving Economic Uncertainty Behind
- Connecting the Dots Online and Offline
- Need for Access Whenever, Wherever, However Drives Mobile Adoption
- Avoiding Information Overload Essential with Analytics
- Making the Case for Millennials in Distribution
- Training, Technology Take Front Seat in Employee Retention Strategies
- Better Inventory Management Through Data, Collaboration
- Distributors Seek More Complete Strategy for Vending
- Private Equity Consolidating Markets
- A More Practical Approach to Product Expansion
- Trend Snapshots for 13 Sectors
The report also includes the following case studies and interviews:
- 2014 MDM Market Movers
- Engman-Taylors Cost-Saving Teams
- Capitol Coffees Proactive Problem-Solving
- Redwood Plastics Online Success Story
- MDM Market Leader Profiles
- DGI Supply: Building on the Core
- F.W. Webb Takes Diverse View of Market
In 2013, MDM spoke with scores of distributors, manufacturers and industry experts to research trends and events affecting the wholesale distribution industry. Many had a real talent for expressing the most important and complex issues of the day in just a few words.
Log-in below to get 2013's in Review: Top Quotes of the Year.
This feature is an exclusive benefit for subscribers to MDM Premium. Not a subscriber? Subscribe today.
Fastenal is largely credited with driving the latest boom in industrial vending services among distributors. Fastenal had nearly 30,000 vending machines installed as of the end of the second quarter 2013, and while it recently backed off on its goal of 30,000 new vending machines this year, it continues to expand its program, called FAST Solutions, at a quick clip. Fastenal’s vending program has grown much faster than the competition’s.
This article is part of MDM’s series on the industrial vending market.
Staff Writer Angela Poulson spoke with Fastenal CEO Will Oberton about:
- The impetus for Fastenal’s vending program
- Why Fastenal backed off its aggressive goal for 2013
- What's next for Fastenal's vending program
Subscribers should log-in below to read this article.
Not a subscriber? Subscribe below or learn more. Subscribers also have access to the following related articles:
- Industrial Vending: A Runway for Growth
- Distributors Get Smarter About Vending
- The Counterfeit Challenge