The final month of the second quarter saw some big names in distribution announce deals, helping keep distribution M&A rolling in 2021 as the first half of the year drew to a close.
Top Distributors like BlackHawk Industrial, MSC Industrial, SBP Holdings, US LBM Holdings, Winsupply and others made strategic acquisitions in the month. Meanwhile, Builders FirstSource, No. 1 in Building & Construction, took a unique approach to M&A by acquiring a software company that should help it compete digitally.
There were many more notable transactions, of course, and in case you missed anything, here are all the M&A announcements — primarily involving distributors but also manufacturers that sell through the channel — MDM covered during the previous month (click the headline for more details):
- Builders FirstSource to Acquire Software Provider for $450 Million — Builders FirstSource Inc., Dallas, has agreed to acquire WTS Paradigm LLC, a Middleton, Wisconsin-based software solutions and services provider for the building products industry, for $450 million. Read more about the deal in our blog, Why Did Builders FirstSource Spend $450 Million on a Software Company?
- Ingersoll Rand Acquires Agritech Company Maximus — One week after striking a deal to buy positive displacement pump manufacturer Seepex GmbH, Ingersoll Rand Inc., Davidson, North Carolina, agreed to acquire Maximus for €135.4 million (US$110 million). The all-cash deal is slated to close in the third quarter once the customary closing conditions are met.
- The Reynolds Company Strikes a Deal for Mid-Coast Electric Supply — The Reynolds Company, which is a subsidiary of McNaughton-McKay Electric Company, announced an agreement to buy San Antonio, Texas-based Mid-Coast Electric Supply.
- Rockwell Automation Forks Out $2.2 Billion for Plex Systems — Rockwell Automation, which is based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, said on Friday it has struck a deal to buy software company Plex Systems for $2.2 billion in cash. Rockwell said the deal was slated to close in its fiscal fourth quarter ending in September.
- BlackHawk Industrial Acquires Two Companies — BlackHawk Industrial Supply, Tulsa, Oklahoma, acquired two companies. The distributor acquired Argo del Valle (formerly Argo-Fusco), a Mexican distributor with 30 employees and locations in Tijuana, Mexicali and Sonora, Mexico. And it acquired Southern Tool & Machine Co., an industrial distributor with locations in Pompano Beach and Largo, Florida.
- Ingersoll Rand Agrees to Acquire German Pump Manufacturer — Ingersoll Rand Inc., Davidson, North Carolina, agreed to acquire positive displacement pump manufacturer Seepex GmbH (Seepex) for €431.5 million (US$514.2 million). The deal is expected to close in the third quarter.
- B&D Industrial Acquires GTI Predictive Technology — B&D Industrial Inc., Macon, Georgia, acquired GTI Predictive Technology, a division of GTI Spindle Technology Inc., Manchester, New Hampshire.
- OmniCable Completes Acquisition of Houston Wire & Cable — West Chester, Pennsylvania-based Omni Cable LLC completed its $91 million acquisition of Houston Wire & Cable Co. following approval of the transaction by HWCC stockholders at a special meeting earlier in the day.
- Atlas Copco Acquires North Carolina Compressor Distributor — Swedish industrial manufacturer Atlas Copco acquired Compressed Air Systems Inc., a Salisbury, North Carolina-based distributor of compressors.
- Heritage Landscape Acquires Two Companies — Landscape distributor Heritage Landscape Supply Group Inc., a McKinney, Texas-based subsidiary of SRS Distribution, acquired two companies — Southern Stone Supply of Raleigh, North Carolina, and Scott Stone of Mebane, North Carolina.
- SBP Holdings Acquires Kenco Hydraulics — SBP Holdings, Dallas, Texas, acquired Kenco Hydraulics and subsidiaries. Kenco Hydraulics, which provides sales and repair services for all types of hydraulic products, will operate within the fluid power/automation platform (Dakota Fluid Power) for SBP Holdings.
- US LBM to Acquire Texas Distributor — Specialty building materials distributor US LBM Holdings LLC, Buffalo Grove, Illinois, agreed to acquire J.P Hart Lumber and Hart Components, a building products distributor and manufacturer with eight locations across Texas.
- Winsupply Acquires Atlantic Coastal Supply — Winsupply Inc., Dayton, Ohio, completed the acquisition of Atlantic Coastal Supply, a specialty plumbing distributor in Greenville, North Carolina. Atlantic Coastal Supply focuses on commercial and institutional customers including municipalities, schools, hospitals and prisons.
- MSC Industrial Supply Acquires Majority Interest in Wm. F. Hurst — MSC Industrial Supply Co, Melville, New York, acquired a majority interest in Wm. F. Hurst Co., LLC, a Wichita, Kansas-based distributor of metalworking tools and supplies with a significant presence in the aerospace industry.
- Atlas Copco Buys Germany-Based Arpuma — Swedish industrial manufacturer Atlas Copco agreed to acquire ARPUMA regel- und fördertechnische Geräte GmbH, a German specialized vacuum systems and solutions provider known as Arpuma.
Did we miss anything? Please send M&A announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also welcome suggestions for “Behind the Deal,” our occasional series that takes a deep dive into market-shifting moves in wholesale distribution.