As 2022 comes to a close, MDM is taking a look back at the content our readers engaged with most this year. We’ll start with our top free articles — which include work from MDM staff as well as contributors — and aren’t exclusive to MDM Premium subscribers. Note that while many of our most-viewed articles were posted prior to 2022 — including pieces that are over five years old — this list only accounts for articles that were published this year.
In 2022, the wholesale distribution industry continued its shift towards digital sales, and our most-viewed articles reflected that. MDM readers were interested in eCommerce-related topics such as virtual B2B marketplaces, digital self-service purchasing methods and omnichannel sales. Our top articles also tackled ever-present industry challenges such as labor shortages, supply chain backlogs, inflation and pricing.
Here are MDM’s 25 most-viewed headlines from 2022:
- 5 Ways Distributors Can Make Warehouse Jobs More Attractive – published Jan. 13: In one of our first contributed pieces of 2022, PathGuide Technologies president and CEO Eric Allais argues that distributors need to rethink the way they do business in the warehouse. It’s not surprising that this piece had so much traction with our readers given the increasing labor needs of distributors throughout the year.
- Fastenal Expo: MDM’s All-Access Pass to the Innovative Distributor – April 21: MDM Executive Editor Mike Hockett recaps what he saw and learned at Fastenal Expo 2022, the distributor’s first in-person company showcase in three years.
- Distributor Finance 2.0: The Hottest Feature of B2B Marketplaces – Feb. 3: In this contributed piece, Alex Moazed and Nicholas Johnson of digital platform consultancy Applico discuss how B2B marketplaces are bringing a B2C-like checkout and financing experience to B2B.
- The Top 50 B2B Marketplaces: A New Ranking – Nov. 15: Moazed unveils Applico’s second annual Top 50 B2B Marketplaces ranking and report.
- 2022 Grainger Show Meets Live in Orlando – March 3: MDM covers the 2022 Grainger Show, which met in person for the first time since 2019.
- 3 Ways Distributors Can ‘Feel ’22’ and Build a Better Experience – Jan. 14
- Effective Inventory Management Requires Short and Long-Term Attack Plans – Oct. 4
- Imperial Dade Gains Investment Fuel for Further Expansion – May 5
- How Distributors Can Deliver Self-Service Through Inventory Management – Jan. 20
- Why the Global Shipping Crisis Isn’t Going Away Anytime Soon – March 24
- 8 Questions Every Distributor Should Answer Before Building an eCommerce Site – Feb. 17
- What Labor Shortage? Technology-Enabled Sales Teams Don’t Miss a Beat – Feb. 4
- NAW Summit: Distribution Execs Get In-Person Glance at 2022 and Beyond – Jan. 27
- Does Your CRM Really Help You Manage Customer Relationships? – May 6
- Price Changes and Inventory Shortages Don’t Need to be Difficult Conversations – Oct. 27
- MSC Industrial CEO Discusses Pricing, Vending, Labor After Big March – April 5
- Bridge the Talent Gap by Fighting the ‘Distribution Isn’t Sexy’ Myth – March 25
- 2022 Forecast Remains Strong Despite Inflation – Feb. 24
- The Supply Chain Professional’s Elevated Role in Today’s Environment – April 22
- How to Use Incentives to Increase Bottom-Line Sales – June 9
- NAW CEO Gives Executive Summit Preview – Jan. 6
- Momentum, Lingering Headwinds Mark 2022 Distribution Outlook – Jan. 21
- Amazon Business Conference: Customers Face New Procurement Priorities – March 15
- Enhance Your Customer Journey with Omnichannel Sales and AI – Oct. 20
- How to Analyze Stockouts and Improve Customer Service – March 18
“Oldies but goodies”: Here are the most-viewed MDM articles in 2022 that were published before 2022.
- The Pros and Cons of Cost-Based Pricing & Other Pricing Strategies – Sept. 13, 2021
- 4 Causes of Forecast Error and How Distributors Can Avoid Them – April 9, 2020
- The 3 Ps of Outstanding Customer Experience – May 23, 2019