The second half of 2021 began with a bang, as M&A activity accelerated across the wholesale distribution space and continued a recent trend of numerous deals in the building materials and construction vertical.
Companies like US LBM Holdings continued to snatch up businesses, making three acquisitions during the month. L&W Supply, SRS Distribution Inc., Builders First Source Inc. and GMS Inc. also grew through acquisition as the sector continues to consolidate.
Top distributors from other categories also made moves, including Winsupply, Core & Main, BlackHawk Industrial and Dakota Supply Group. We have the details on each deal below, and we’ll also have more analysis on the scorching M&A market in MDM Premium soon.
There were many more notable transactions, of course, and in case you missed anything, here are all the M&A announcements — primarily involving distributors but also manufacturers that sell through the channel and even a service provider — MDM covered during the previous month (click the headline for more details):
- Fischer Process Industries Acquires H. E. Danby — Pumps, valves, and process equipment distributor Fischer Process Industries (FPI), Loveland, Ohio, announced the acquisition of H. E. Danby Co. Inc., an Indianapolis, Indiana-based distributor.
- Wynnchurch Capital Buys Trimlite — Wynnchurch Capital has acquired Trimlite, a Renton, Washington-based manufacturer and distributor of residential doors and related door products.
- L&W Supply Finalizes Deal to Acquire Builders FirstSource’s Eastern Gypsum Assets — L&W Supply Corp., Chicago, finalized its purchase of the assets of the Eastern U.S. Gypsum Distribution Operations of Builders FirstSource Inc. MDM first reported the deal on July 7.
- RBC Bearings to Acquire ABB’s Dodge Mechanical Power Transmission Business — RBC Bearings Inc., Oxford, Connecticut, agreed to acquire the Dodge mechanical power transmission division of Asea Brown Boveri Ltd. (ABB) for $2.9 billion.
- PE-Backed JGB Enterprises Expands into Canada — JGB Enterprises Inc. — a Liverpool, New York-based hose and fluid power distributor that’s backed by the private equity firm HCI Equity Partners — has completed its first add-on acquisition with the addition of Toronto-based Industrial, Petroleum and Mining Supplies Ltd., d/b/a HosePower Canada.
- BlackHawk Industrial Acquires Florida-Based Fasteners Distributor — BlackHawk Industrial, Tulsa, Oklahoma, has acquired Reliance Supply, a Jacksonville, Florida-based industrial fasteners distributor.
- Carlisle Cos. to Acquire Building Envelope Systems Provider — Carlisle Cos. Inc., Scottsdale, Arizona, has agreed to acquire o acquire Henry Co., an El Segundo, California-based provider of building envelope systems, from affiliates of the private equity firm American Securities LLC, for $1.6 billion. The purchase price represents 10.5x Henry’s adjusted EBITDA for the 12 months ending May 31, when including run-rate cost synergies.
- Ingersoll Rand Confirms All-Cash Offer to Acquire SPX Flow — Ingersoll Rand Inc., Davidson, North Carolina, on Monday confirmed that on June 10, it made an all-cash non-binding proposal to the board of directors of SPX Flow Inc. to acquire SPX Flow for $85 per share.
- Solve Industrial Motion Group Acquired by Audax Private Equity — Solve Industrial Motion Group, the Charlotte, N.C.-based bearings manufacturer, has been acquired by Audax Private Equity.
Sonepar USA to Acquire Springfield Electric Supply — Sonepar USA Holdings Inc., a Charleston, South Carolina-based subsidiary of the privately held Sonepar Group, announced that it has agreed to acquire Springfield Electric Supply Co. Springfield, Illinois.
- EnVista Acquires HCM Systems to Expand Automation Capabilities — EnVista, an Indianapolis-based software, consulting, managed services and automation solutions firm whose customer base includes distributors, announced the acquisition of systems integrator HCM Systems, Chicago.
- SRS Acquires Chicago-Based Operator of Three Distributors — Building materials distributor SRS Distribution Inc., McKinney, Texas, has acquired Acorn Roofing Supply, Prairie State Exterior Products and 55 Building Supply, distributors of residential and commercial roofing, siding and other related products.
- Stellar Industrial Supply to Acquire Robert G. Brewton — MRO distributor Stellar Industrial Supply, Tacoma, Washington, has struck a deal to acquire Robert G. Brewton (R.G. Brewton).
- Charles D. Jones Co. Acquires Air Conditioning Utilities — Charles D. Jones Co., a North Kansas City, Missouri-based HVACR distributor, announced the acquisition of Air Conditioning Utilities, Omaha, Nebraska.
- Core & Main to Acquire Pacific Pipe — As it prepares to go public, Core & Main LP, based in St. Louis, Missouri, announced it has agreed to acquire Pacific Pipe Company Inc. Core & Main’s latest deal is its 14th transaction since becoming an independent company in 2017.
- Builders FirstSource to Sell Eastern U.S. Gypsum Distribution Operations — Builders FirstSource Inc., Dallas, announced that it has agreed to sell its standalone Eastern U.S. Gypsum Distribution Operations to L&W Supply.
- Winsupply Acquires Plumbing and Heating Distributor Simon’s Supply — Winsupply Inc., Dayton, Ohio, announced it has acquired plumbing and heating distributor Simon’s Supply Co. Inc.
- US LBM Completes Acquisition of American Construction Source — Specialty building materials distributor US LBM Holdings LLC, Buffalo Grove, Illinois, has completed its previously announced acquisition of American Construction Source from Angeles Equity Partners LLC and Clearlake Capital Group L.P.
- US LBM Acquires Arizona Distributor — Specialty building materials distributor US LBM Holdings LLC, Buffalo Grove, Illinois, has acquired Home Center Supply, a specialty building materials supplier in central Arizona.
- GMS Completes Deal to Buy Westside — GMS Inc., Tucker, Georgia, has wrapped up its $135 million deal to buy Westside Building Material. The acquisition of Westside was first announced in May.
- US LBM Acquires Georgia Distributor — Specialty building materials distributor US LBM Holdings LLC, Buffalo Grove, Illinois, has acquired Brand Vaughan Lumber Co., a Georgia-based distributor that operates five locations in the state.
- DSG Expands into Michigan with Acquisition of HVAC Distributor — Dakota Supply Group, Plymouth, Minnesota, announced the acquisition of Calverley Supply Co. in an asset purchase effective July 1.
Did we miss anything? Please send M&A announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. We also welcome suggestions for “Behind the Deal,” our occasional series that takes a deep dive into market-shifting moves in wholesale distribution.