The calendar has turned toward the final three months of 2023, but industrial distributors and manufacturers have been knee deep in next-year planning for quite some time. In MDM’s latest quarterly podcast review, we’re looking back at all the topics covered between July and September — topics which will remain relevant in the months and years ahead as companies continue to look for ways to grow and adapt in still-uncertain market conditions. Below, MDM readers will find thoughtful, actionable discussion points that distributors can equip to wade through internal transformations, address labor issues, employ the benefits of AI and help management teams make better decisions.
Topics covered during the third quarter include:
- How to navigate business model transformation.
- Steps for building world-class capability via improved data analytics in distribution.
- How to address mental health expectations in the workplace.
- The ins and outs of category management and myriad other points.
Check out a list of descriptions and episode links for all our MDM Podcast installments from 3Q 2023 below. Also, listen to our complete collection of podcast episodes from the first nine months of the year at our podcasts archive page.
And don’t forget to tune in Thursday, Oct. 5, for the next MDM Webcast: “Distribution AI — A playbook to accelerate success.” You will hear the findings of MDM’s deep-dive AI research report and learn from those on the front lines on the keys to AI success. MDM’s research report and this program will combine the insights of distributors and technology innovators to help build a practical roadmap for AI implementation.
- Jonathan Byrnes discussed the profitability concepts he developed — with better detail and real-time information — that help management teams make better decisions, more accurately meet budget, and achieve step changes in profitability.
- In the first Quicktake podcast of the quarter, MDM CEO Tom Gale and Indian River Consulting Group’s Mike Marks delved into the deeper dimensions of a larger business model transformation this industry is navigating, and where share and competitive advantage is being won and lost.
- MDM chatted with former MSC Industrial Supply veteran Steve Gettleman on the topic of category management, for which he said a formal plan is severely lacking across the distribution sector. He and MDM covered the ins and outs of category management and how distributors of all kinds can leverage such a plan.
- In another Quicktake episode, Tom Gale and Mike Marks channeled the movie “City Slickers” as they discussed how to assess a team’s transformational capabilities across the dimensions of sales process, technology, data analytics and people.
Aug. 9: Kevin Godin, AFC Industries CEO
- MDM chatted with AFC Industries CEO Kevin Godin on how the company has successfully managed all of its recent growth — and what’s on the horizon.
- In this episode, James Dorn and Tom Gale looked at the “bigger picture” of data analytics in distribution, the stages of competency, building blocks and ways organizations are building world-class capability.
- This episode joined Granite Group HR VP Tracie Sponenberg and mental-health-at-work expert Melissa Doman as they explored why mental health is a critical business conversation, how this industry can address growing mental health expectations and the benefits that can result.
- Mike Marks talked about culture as the critical differentiator in periods of uncertainty, and the industry transition from traditional command-and-control leadership.
- Ana Bennett – one of MDM’s SHIFT conference speakers in September — joined Tom Gale for a conversation about the evolving role of technology, and where it’s headed.
Aug. 30: Kevin Sachs, McKinsey partner
- McKinsey’s Kevin Sachs shared a preview of his team’s keynote at SHIFT 2023 on the differentiators of those who are convincing shareholders they are growing revenue faster, expanding profit margins and improving the efficiency in which they leverage their capital base.
- Mike Marks and Tom Gale explored where distributors have the most leverage — and where their common gaps are — in the year ahead.
Sept. 6: STAFDA CEO Georgia Foley
- Georgia Foley stopped by to discuss the association’s new educational initiative, the state of industry demand how it’s being impacted by U.S. Infrastructure Bill rollout and factory building boom, as well as a preview of the group’s annual convention in early November.
Sept. 14: Kevin Reid-Morris, Founder & CEO,
- Kevin Reid-Morris and Tom Gale discussed the insights, surprises and hopes for AI this 2023 after more research into artificial intelligence surfaced. The two also mapped out five behaviors and supporting building blocks for distributor AI success, with comments from our research partners.
- Dr. Donte Vaughn, an expert in organizational leadership, said there are major misconceptions alongside “The Great Resignation.” He joined the podcast to discuss the state of culture today in industrial organizations, and how to bridge gaps between leadership and front-line workers.
Check out our collection of MDM Podcast episodes from the first nine months of the year at our podcasts archive page.